[H-GEN] ESS xxxxxxx

Steven MCINTYRE stev at uq.net.au
Sun Nov 7 22:45:28 EST 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

> > PS. I worked out how to get my ESS Solo working all by myself and I'm as proud
> > as punch. Ain't linux fun!!
> hmm.. there's an ESS Solo1 in my work machine, and in the short time I
> used to try to get it to work, the most I could achieve was a detected
> card and then "DMA operation timed out" ..
>
> so I abandoned the idea.
>
> Which drivers are you using?  The ones in the kernel?
  A very good question, my "hack" for this down in Nerang this weekend
was to use DOS drivers to initialise the hardware and jump into Linux
via loadlin.
  Worked out reasonably well, once I debugged my scripts since I could not
fall back onto LILO (>1024 cyl) and I couldn't determine a way to convince
Linux I have 126M of memory (yes 126M) using rdev.

  Steven McIntyre
  stev at uq.net.au
  3rd Year Info. Tech, QUT (Gardens Point) - Brisbane, Australia
  Majoring in Comp. Sci. and Data Comms.