[H-GEN] Alston's censorship bill has passed

Christopher Preston c.preston at chemistry.uq.edu.au
Thu May 27 01:25:37 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Christopher Preston <c.preston at chemistry.uq.edu.au>)

David Jericho wrote:

> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs David Jericho <davidj at in4free.com.au>)
>
> On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 04:05:07AM +0000, Marc Dergacz wrote:
> > I currently am an admin for a company who
> > administers and install networks etc at schools
> > around brisbane.  To my current understanding, it
> > would be the education departments responsibility
> > to implement all packet filtering firewalls.
>
> Well, yes. But according to the bill, it'll be the schools job as
> well. To put it simply, if your internet connection supplies end users,
> you have to comply.

Interesting. So the linux gateway I admin for the cluster of PCs in my
room here could be seen to be supplying end users I suppose.

Infact, given that Win2000 is supposedly going to be doing NAT / IP masq
or whatever then if you have a private network at home you are
effectively as liable as an ISP? Might be a new line of work after Y2K
is sorted - 'Internet Pornography Consultant' - has a certain ring to
it.

cmlp

--
Christopher Preston
Chemistry Department, The University of Queensland