[H-GEN] Alston's censorship bill has passed

Mark Suter mark at zwitterion.humbug.org.au
Wed May 26 10:22:48 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Mark Suter <mark at zwitterion.humbug.org.au>)

Anthony,

Firstly, we need some humour.

    http://www.efa.org.au/Campaigns/stoprain.html

> I'm honestly not at all convinced by the "technical" arguments against
> this bill. Sure, restricting access to all offensive material is
> impossible, but, at least ttbomk, that's not what they require ISPs to
> do. And sure, restricting access is more onerous than not, but, well,
> so is keeping your kitchen clean when you're trying to run a restaurant.

The technical aspects, as currenly legistlated, would be awesomely
expensive, if they are even possible at all.  BTW, it seems that
the ABA may have a role in specifing what OS you must run.  And,
"Yes", the ABA can take action against an ISP that *allows* access to
'inappropriate' material hosted elsewhere.  Have a read of s.25(1)(a),
as available at the following site.

    http://www.efa.org.au/Campaigns/99.html

While you're there, have a good read of the submissions to the Senate
by such notables as the EFA, ALIA, Mark Newton, Danny Yee and Matthew
Arnison.

This legislation goes far beyond mere Government Censorship.  In order
to discuss it in the right frame of mind, please re-read _1984_.

> Personally, the only thing I have against this bill is that it's
> censorship, and that I think censorship is fundamentally wrong. If
> you don't want to look a smut, don't look at smut. If you're sick of
> altavista giving you twenty links to pr0n for every relevant web page,
> use a different search engine. If you get sick of the guy in front of
> you in the labs looking at smut all the time, tell him he's a pervert
> and to do it at home.

Censorship is not wrong of itself.  The term "censorship" normally
also entails that the decisions are made by some external authority,
for example, "THEM" or "TTP" or "The Australian Government".

> And don't get me started about all the crap about "You're all immoral
> child pornographers!". Or that the only group willing to stand up for
> freedom of speech in Australia is the Eros foundation.

This very argument has been used in parliament:

    You oppose our censorship bill?  You must be one of those
    paediaphiles that rapes babies before breakfast.

    How can you support this smut?

    What kind of deviant are you?

Please, read the following email, forwarded from the SAGE-AU mailing
list.

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au  | what you think I said, but I am not sure
PGP encryption is OK | you realise that what you  heard  is not
Ph: +61 4 1162 2316  | what I meant.                  anonymous