[H-GEN] radio modems - the story so far.

John Elliot jelliot at gil.com.au
Tue May 18 19:25:24 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs John Elliot <jelliot at gil.com.au>)

Further to my prevous posting.  I think you blokes are trying to re-invent
the wheel.  To the best of my knowledge the Queensland Digital group -
http://www.powerup.com.au/~qdg/ - has an extensive digital network around
Brisbane.

I haven't used packet for some years but with a 2 metre TX and a TNC it was
possible to directly connect to a BBS several suburbs away at 1200bps.  If
I went via a digipeater I could connect to another amateur station on the
other side of Brisbane.  Presently the packet rate is 9600bps.  Not fast
compared to the internet, but after you pay for your license every year,
buy your radio and TNC the rest is free.

So unless you are a media mogul with a few million dollars to spare I think
the only viable option is to get an amateur radio license.  They are always
looking out for new blood.  The 23cm band (1.2GHz) part of the band needs a
few more people to occupy it.  Maybe someone could put a 56kbps or higher
network up there.

PS.  Mention is made on the QDG site of using Linux to implement some of
their systems.

Regards
John Elliot
VK4KIN