[H-GEN] radio modems - the story so far.

Allen Grace a.grace at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Tue May 18 08:58:41 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Allen Grace <a.grace at mailbox.uq.edu.au>)

Michael Anthon wrote:

> It seems to me that ANY interaction between the internet and the packet
> radio system is a bit of a Norty Thing [1] except for the situation outlined
> in the FAQ about tunnelling packet traffic via the internet between two
> separate segments of the packet system.
>
> I think that running IRC over packet would be acceptable, BUT it would need
> to be a standalone network with no connection to any of the "regular"
> networks.
>
> Putting it bluntly, the SMA and the regulations that are set for Amateur
> Radio pretty much negate any practical use of packet radio connected to the
> net (using amateur bands).  Pretty frustrating really.

Please explain to someone who hasn't had cause to think about these
things overly much:

Pourquoi?

What's the legal objection to connecting the internet to a packet radio
network? Is it to do with the potentially commercial nature of the
traffic? I understand that the frequencies are set aside for purely
"recreational" purposes, but is that not exactly what is intended in
this instance?

allen
--
PD: pardon of my horror syntax english. you must be patient with me.