[H-GEN] A humbug WAN

Rob Kearey r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Mon May 17 01:08:04 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Rob Kearey <r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au>)

Michael Anthon wrote:

> You might want to investigate the regs regarding connection of AX25 packet
> radio systems on the amateur band to the public internet.  AFAIK (ie, last
> time I looked into it) this is NOT allowed in Australia [1].  There is also
> the issue of what sort of traffic is allowed to be sent over these bands.
> There is a restriction placed on the use of amateur radio in that nothing of
> a commercial nature may be transmitted, therefore, sending HUMBUG mailing
> lists would be OK, but anything to do with your work would be breaking the
> regs ( come to think of it, some of Frank's HUMBUG emails might break the
> regs too!! 8^).

Yup. Which is why Prentice Internet uses a 128k ISDN link from St Lucia
to Gatton campus for commercial customers in Gatton and surrounds,
instead of the 34 Meg microwave link. Common Carrier licenses cost Lots.

--
Robert Kearey           Network Services
ITS                     University of Queensland