[H-GEN] Question sans Gorm.

Rob Kearey r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Sun May 16 20:04:48 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Rob Kearey <r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au>)

Byron Ellacott wrote:

> >How in Glub's name do I turn of update/bdflush? Now I'm on 2.2.9, I
> >don't need it anymore, but I'm buggered if I can find it in the startup
> >scripts. I'm using RH 6.0 at the moment.

> 2.2.9 doesn't need bdflush?

Apparently not. The memory management in the 2.2 series is now
sufficiently advanced that bdflush is irrelevant, and can actually cause
fs corruption in 2.2.8.

> anyway, to disable it, find the offending line in /etc/inittab:
> ud::once:/sbin/update

Argh. The one place I didn't look.

> and terminate it with extreme prejudice
> dd

Hmm. A truly merciful God doesn't smite his enemies, he just comments
them out.

--
Robert Kearey           Network Services
ITS                     University of Queensland