[H-GEN] partitioning again

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue May 11 06:26:22 EDT 1999

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 06:02:38PM +1000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Hi all.  I've always been a big fan of partitioning, and lot sof you would
> have heard my theory on how to best partition a disk (tm).  Anyway, in the
> last partitioning discussion someone (aj?)

Nope. I know as little about hardware as I can get away with.

Redirect: mbp, maybe?

> If this is the case, then is it indeed better to just use a single
> partition for each disk (and maybe even md technology)?

Multiple partitions also let you switch between have 2GB for Windows,
2GB for Debian to 1GB for Windows, 1GB for RedHat, 1GB for Debian,
1GB shared /home, and so on.

Partitions also let you do things like mount /usr read only; or not worry
about having other people put so much stuff in their home directories
that /var/log fills up.

> Another point: A traditional reason for partitioning was to prevent
> fragmentation getting too bad - but that isn't such a problenm with a
> modem FS like the ext2fs.

...especially when you've got hard drives that have somewhere between
100 and 1000 times the size of your average file free even at 95%
capacity. (200kb -> 20/200MB = 5% -> 400MB/4GB drives)

Cheers,
aj

``Smart, sexy, single. Pick any two (you can't have all three).''
        -- RFC 1925, paraphrased: a guide to networking in the '90s