[H-GEN] partitioning again

Robert Brockway robert at blake.humbug.org.au
Tue May 11 04:02:38 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Robert Brockway <robert at blake.humbug.org.au>)

Hi all.  I've always been a big fan of partitioning, and lot sof you would
have heard my theory on how to best partition a disk (tm).  Anyway, in the
last partitioning discussion someone (aj?) mentioned that due to the fact
that modern ide (but not scsi) disks have a dynamic physical to logical
mapping it becomes irrelvant how a disk is partitioned[1] as the data
could be anywhere on the disk anyway.

If this is the case, then is it indeed better to just use a single
partition for each disk (and maybe even md technology)?  I am prepared to
risk the point brought up in footnote [1] for the versatility of the
single partition if it is indeed just as fast.

Another point: A traditional reason for partitioning was to prevent
fragmentation getting too bad - but that isn't such a problenm with a
modem FS like the
ext2fs.

Cheers,
	-Robert

[1] With the exception of a one point - the difference between a root
filesystem error and a non-root FS error during a fsck.

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at blake.humbug.org.au
                                robert.brockway at uq.net.au
			 WWW:   http://www.oc.humbug.org.au/~robert
			 Founder of HUMBUG (http://www.humbug.org.au)