[H-GEN] Seeking Brisbane machine with internet + dialout modem

Bradley Rosser b_rosser at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 09:15:33 EST 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Bradley Rosser <b_rosser at yahoo.com>)

Hi.  I'm a Brisbanite (who has attended a few HUMBUG meetings
in the past) currently stuck in London, and I need to do
some work on a colleague's machine back home, which has suffered
some disk corruption.  His machine is not on the internet; it just
has a 2400 baud modem on a telephone line.

Last May when his machine experienced its last crisis I was able
to find a very helpful fellow in Brisbane who had a machine with
two modems and telephone lines, one of them on a semi-dedicated
PPP link to an ISP.  With his co-operation I was able to telnet
into his machine and then dial out of the unused modem, making a
local
phone call to the machine I had to fix.  It all worked out very
well (and very cheaply, compared with the British Telecom charges
which would have been involved if I'd tried to phone direct, London
to Brisbane).

Unfortunately my helpful friend has moved house, and his new
residence has only one phone line.  Last May I'd sent a general
'anyone around Brisbane with a local dial-out internet-based
service?' to a couple of qld and bne newsgroups, plus one to
Prentice, but only received the one reply.  I'd been hoping that
there were 'dialout servers' on the Internet (in Queensland!)
like the 'fax servers' that I believe are out there.

Does anyone know of any entity, organisation or computer hobbyist
who would have a machine set up such that I could telnet in and dial
out - 07 local call only?  Please help me stop good Australian money
going into the (ravenous) mouth of British Telecom!

Thanks,

Brad Rosser
b_rosser at yahoo.com