[H-GEN] Printer Support

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sun Mar 21 03:46:42 EST 1999

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 03:46:24PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> > Just having one little problem though.....we have a network laser
> > printer (HP Laserjet-5m) and i havn't got even the foggiest idea as to
> > how i can set it up under linux so that samba can access it and all
> > the win95 machines can print through it.
> Configure a remote lpd queue for it (RTFM and/or use the RH printertool)
> on the linux box, using the printer's IP address as the hostname and the
> default queue name.  Then configure that lpd queue into samba.  You can
> also insert a printfilter if you like.

ObDebian: Or install the magicfilter package and answer it's questions
appropriately.

IIRC, the standard Debian samba config has printers enabled by default --
the sharename is the same as the printer name.

You can be even tricker, and have your linux server provide shares for
printers elsewhere on the network, which can come in handy if you're
in the habit of moving those printers from one computer to another [0].
This is really easy with RedHat (you say "this is a samba share"), but
somewhat more painful with Debian, last I tried.

Cheers,
aj

[0] So the paper comes out near the person who's interested in it, eg.