[H-GEN] Re: [H-ANNOUNCE] Attention UQ People, Dynamic IP addresses.

Robert Brockway robert at blake.humbug.org.au
Wed Mar 10 01:39:53 EST 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Robert Brockway <robert at blake.humbug.org.au>)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Bruce Campbell appeared and foretold the following
lore:

> The University of Queensland is changing to dynamic IP addressing on the
> 12th of April, as you no-doubt have already received an email about.

Yep, it's finally happened.  It has been looming for months, maybe years.
In fact back in 1994 George Michaelson 9the old head Sysadmin at UQ) told
me that Prentice had considered it back then but had decided against it
after discussion with Van Jacobson (of compression fame) who pointed out a
number of security and accounting concerns.

> If you have a machine in the humbug.org.au domain, are a UQ-Commercial
> subscriber, and do *not* take up a static IP address, then attaching an IP
> address to the name is simply not practical after the 12th of April.

For $60/year a static IP can be retained.  This would seem to be the best
option for these people, despite the extra cost (imho opinion of course :)
A number of us suggested this as an option to Prentice a few months ago
and I am glad to see they took up on it (or thought of it independently
:)

> If you wish to keep your machine.humbug.org.au name (for mail purposes),
> then an alternative is being worked on.  This will involve an
> 'interesting' hack, which can be summed up as being uucp over ssh.

That is quite crafty Bruce.  I still recommend going for the static IP
instead ;)
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at blake.humbug.org.au