[H-GEN] SCSI interfaces

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Thu Jun 10 04:49:21 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Frank Brand <fbrand at uq.net.au>)

John Boggon wrote:

> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs John Boggon <John.B at uq.net.au>)
>
> I would like to put a SCSI interface into my intel / linux
> box however I am on a tight budget. The cards that seem to
> fall inside my price range, such as the tekram DC310 and the
> Adaptec 1505 and 2904 are not listed in the hardware-compatibility
> howto Going on the info I've gleaned off the respective web sites,
> they also appear to lack an on-board bios but instead use the scsi
> features of compatible bios' like the Award.
>
> I suppose what I'm asking is; Is there a cheap (sub $150) SCSI card
> available that is supported under Linux and capable of supporting
> a 4x8x CD-writer and having other scsi peripherals (HD and CD-Rom)
> added later ?

IIRC the Tekram DC310 is not compatible but (I think) the 309 might be but it is
more expensive and is not as easy to use.. Some of the cheaper Adaptec cards are
for running periferals (eg scanners, cd-roms etc) I think the 15XX series and the
290X is of this type. They do not have a bios and will not boot up your drives.
There is an I-Will Advansys card (5140 from memory) you may be able to find.
AFAI am concerned Adaptec are the Rolls Royce of cards but RR cost money.

I do not know of a sub-$150 card that I would use (although if you can find the
I-Will card you may be able to get it at a reasonable price).

--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au
Home Page: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzfbrand