[H-GEN] hey

Paul Gearon pag at tams.com.au
Thu Jun 10 00:15:41 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Paul Gearon <pag at tams.com.au>)

>> > Without causing a complete argument, which should I aim
>for? My end goal is
>> > to replace my NT server (running as a proxy, print, file,
>PDC) and NT
>> > workstation and 2 win95 boxes with linux and if I can get
>my voodoo 3 to
>> > work then my win98 machine
>
>> Whatever you feel comfortable with. You'll get people
>pushing their own
>> brand of Linux onto you, but having used 8 distributions of
>linux I really
>> don't care which one ('cept Slackware :)
>
>David is quite correct; whatever you least dislike will do. I
>personally
>use RH 6.0 because I've grown accustomed to it, and I like RPM and
>AutoRPM in the same way that others like apt et al.

I agree with both David and Rob here.  Nothing you mentioned is handled any
differently between different distributions, so it really is just a matter
of personal preference.

For me, the biggest advantage to Debian for beginners is apt-get.  RedHat's
RPM isn't as nice, but it has the advantage that everyone seems to provide
.rpm files for software, while .deb files are much less common.  (I know
there are other pros and cons, but I figure that these are the big issues
for new users)

I can't really comment on the other distributions.

Regards,
Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane
mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I
will fling an enormous rock at your head.")