[H-GEN] Linux kernel 2.2 and RedHat 6.0 Stability

Steve Elliott steve at virtuozo.com.au
Wed Jun 9 20:18:01 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Steve Elliott <steve at virtuozo.com.au>)

Martin Pool wrote:
> BSD has a reputation for being more performant and stable in server
> configurations.  I think the best advice on choosing a distribution is
> to use what your friends use so that they can help you.  RedHat or
> Debian or *BSD should be fine.

Yeah - seems like they are the big 3. The other prob is that none of my
friends use linux, so my only source of info is this list, plus whatever
parallels i can draw from Irix.

The other thing is the box will not be used as a web server as such (
maybe down the track ), more as a dev machine for hacking web pages from
home. I would prefer to work in the unix enviroment as opposed to the
other stuff that gets slopped around.

The only thing that concerned me about rh6 was all the posts re kernel
probs - i guess all those boxes were mission critical - surely it should
be stable enough for a home box ? Not that i'm sweating on rh - i just
want something that has a good shell/desktop enviroment.

Thanks 4 your suggestions Martin.

--
Regards,
Steve Elliott.