[H-GEN] Linux kernel 2.2 and RedHat 6.0 Stability

Steve Elliott steve at virtuozo.com.au
Wed Jun 9 18:02:37 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Steve Elliott <steve at virtuozo.com.au>)

Frank Brand wrote:

> > Hey thanks Frank. What would you recommend to a linux newbie who is very
> > used to Silicon Graphics Irix ?
>
> After serious consideration...yes I think it would be MS DOS 2 *wink*.

Hmm - you humbuggers are a sarcastic bunch ;-)

> Well, SGI is very graphically oriented so I would probably still go with Mandrake or RH (Mandrake is built onto a RH system. In fact there is now little difference between RH and Mandrake now that the people in the Technology Triangle have embraced Qt/KDE)

Even though there are guis under irix, I still find the shell enviroment
very productive with its cut and paste methods - back to basics here -
nice tcsh extensions.

> A full Red Hat installation is 1118 MB and a full Mandrake is 1145 or 1147 MB (IIRC).
>
> If you are not so interested in GUI's and the graphical side, pretty well any distribution will do similar things. Most ppl here would probably support Debian, I find Red Hat easy to use. I believe SuSE is a very complete distribution (but I have not used it).

The machine I have in mind for linux will be a web dev machine - what
would be the ideal linux flavour to use with that in mind ( don't wanna
spark a heated debate here ) and any pointers to some good web dev tools
?

Thanks to all earlier replies, and any futures.

--
Regards,
Steve Elliott.

Support Manager