[H-GEN] sun Console

James McPherson jmcphers at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au
Mon Jun 7 01:15:36 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs James McPherson <jmcphers at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au>)

Craig Armour writes:
 > (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Craig Armour <c.armour at kings.uq.edu.au>)
 >
 > > That looks like SunOS 4.x.
 >
 > bingo 4.1.1  How you can tell that from the disk detection is beyound
 > me... :)

sounds like you haven't been paying attention ;) Solaris doesn't print any
messages about swap space on boot. Oh, and the other messages that you
included in your posts just look different ;)

 > > Suns will boot using the serial settings in the NVRAM and switch to the
 > > settings for the console (stored in a file in /etc) part way through the
 > > boot.
 > >
 > > I must have been using Solaris for too long, I can't remember what file
 > > contains those settings for SunOS 4.x.
 >
 > and I didn't try looking for it.  but what was hapening is it was
 > ruuning at 8-n-1 at boot then switching to 7-E-1 for console.. :?  first
 > step... remove sunos 4 ;)  the only problem then is the inital stuff is
 > blurbed then clear... which I guess is more important... If I could be
 > bothered... I'd change the setting mid boot sequence but I can't be
 > so...

didn't try booting from cdrom with a serial console? I'm pretty darn sure that
the solaris boot process doesn't fsck with the serial port settings along the
way. And don't forget that solaris is {solaris+sysv+openwindows|cde} ;)

cheers,
James
--
Unix Systems Administrator            Phone: +61.2.9850.9418
Office of Computing Services            Fax: +61.2.9850.7433