[H-GEN] Sun WS monitors

Craig Armour c.armour at lingua.arts.uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 2 02:20:46 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Craig Armour <c.armour at lingua.arts.uq.edu.au>)

> I have a Sparc 5 box on my desk which I would like to swap for a Linux
> intel box etc.  I would like to use the nice big monitor sitting on
> SPARC on a PC, but it has the wrong plug (it has the big wide plug with
> small pins and big "pins").  Does anyone know if there are cables around
> to swap or converters for these?
>
> Are there any other issues - what about resolutions and running in
> console mode etc?

yeah, Invariably, SUN monitors are fixed frequency and don't allow the
multitude of resolutions that are available via a standard VGA adapter.
the connector (the wide one) is a 13w3 connector.  You can get 13w3 sun
-> 15pin vga cables but tend to be expensive, of the order of $70, and I
am not sure about the other way (which is what you require) but all
aside, as long as you can put up with the 1 (maybe two or three)
resolutions that your monitor can support, have a vga card that can
support the resolutions your monitor can, and can find a cable, they
should work fine.

Lart me here anytime if I'm wrong James? or Frank?

go to sun ripend kernels http://www.srk.com.au/ ??? and they might be
able to help more

Cheers
Craig
Craig Armour			c.armour at arts.uq.edu.au
System Administrator    	 Joyce Ackroyd Building
Language Lab, University of Queensland   phone 33656916