[H-GEN] extracting files

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Tue Jun 1 21:35:28 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Martin Pool <martinp at mincom.com>)

Paul Gearon wrote:
> I've just realised that I deleted a file from my system that I really need.
> Fortunately I had emailed it to someone using netscape.  Unfortunately I'm
> not on that computer, so I con't run netscape to find it.
>
> Anyway, I got the "Sent" file that netscape uses, and I've found the file I
> need in the middle of a mail message.  The mime header looks like this:

Read the manpage for uuencode and mimencode.  Depending on your OS, one
or both of them should be able to translate from base64 to binary given
the right options.

Then use your editor of choice to strip out the base64-encoded part from
the mail message, and pass it through the decoder.

--
Martin Pool

"At the IFIP congress in 1971 I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Eiichi
Goto of Japan, who cheerfully complained that he was always being
eliminated"
   -- Don Knuth, in _Structured Programming with Go To Statements_