[H-GEN] Linux Gateways

Christopher Preston c.preston at chemistry.uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 23:39:55 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Christopher Preston <c.preston at chemistry.uq.edu.au>)

Andrew Rooke wrote:

> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Andrew Rooke <arooke at globec.com.au>)
>
> Anyone / All,
>         Ive finally gotten around to setting up my linux gateway with Slack 4.0,
> and ive just got a few questions for all you out there.....
>
> Whats a good guide to Setting up IP Chains to configure my box as a
> "gateway" for the 3 winbloz box's hooking up through it ?
>
> If i hook up 2 3com 3C503's can i bind them to the same ip addy ?? ive
> heard this can be done.

Yep. That will work. Do the windows boxes have (i) valid ip addresses,
or (ii) are they just going to use ip masquerading? (ie. use 10.0.0.0 or
192.168.0.0 )?

If (i), you'll need to do proxy arping for them.

see man arp - specifically the pub option. The problem with windows is
that it doesn't appear to allow you to use a netmask of 255.255.255.255
which what you may want. It is for me anyway.

Both ethernet cards would then probably have the same IP.

also...

ipchains -P forward ACCEPT
ipchains -P input ACCEPT
ipchains -P output ACCEPT

If (ii), then you'll want to use ipchains like..

add...

ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 10.0.0.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

presuming windows boxes have ip addresses in the 10.0.0.0 network.

This would requrire the second card on the localnet to have an ip
address (or alias at least) on the 10.0.0.0 network.

I do both of the above on the same gateway.

HTH
chris.

--
Christopher Preston
Chemistry Department, The University of Queensland