[H-GEN] I love Microsoft

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Jul 17 00:13:57 EDT 1999

On Sat, Jul 17, 1999 at 07:40:59AM +1000, Harry Phillips wrote:
> [...] Keep 95/98 and the next
> generation so unstable that I get a heap of calls and I don't lose my job.

Me, I'd rather work on interesting new stuff than spend time trying to get
all the old stuff working properly time and time again.

I mean, really, are the companies that employ you suddenly going to have
less income because their software suddenly starts working properly? I
doubt it. Instead, they're going to have less unproductive expenses, both
in staff times and in helpdesk requirements. They've probably go a couple
of choices in how to deal with this -- they could fire the helpdeskish
people, and spend the extra money on real staff. Alternatively, they could
tell their helpdesk people to start doing productive stuff like making it
easier to setup new machines so they can hire new employees, or automate
more things, or make more things use less resources (like having faxes get
OCRed and converted to email and only optionally printed to save paper,
and keep a longer and more greppable record of correspondence).

I know which I'd prefer to be doing.

The only way "make life worse, so I can eat" arguments work are if you
believe capitalism is fundamentally broken.

Cheers,
aj

       ``There's nothing worse than people with a clue.
             They're always disagreeing with you.''
                                 -- Andrew Over