[H-GEN] New Kernel compile fails to boot

Steven McIntyre stev at theinternet.com.au
Mon Jul 12 09:21:31 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Steven McIntyre <stev at theinternet.com.au>)

Hilton Travis wrote:

> I tried to do my first kernel compile (2.2.10) this afternoon, and all
> seemed to go relatively well.  When I went to do a "make deps" the
> /usr/include/errno.h file failed on line 36 due to the following:
> file not found: bits/errno.h
<snip>

> When this new kernel boots, I get the following messages on screen:
<snip>
> CPU: Cyrix 6x86 2x Core/Bus Clock Stepping 06
> Kernel panic: Kernel compiled for Pentium+, requires TSC
> In swapper task - not syncing
>
> and then the system freezes.

> I chose the P/Pro/6x86 config when I ran "make xconfig".  I can email the
> config file I saved if necessary.
>
> Could someone please help here - I have no idea where to go from here.

  This is my first attempt to post to H-GEN, so this could bounce.  I'm
sending this direct as well, so in the event that my post succeeds
Hilton Travis will receieve this message twice (so I apologise for that
now).

  You have chosen an incorrect processor type, resulting in a kernel
panic when you boot your system.  You will need to recompile the kernel
to fix this.

  You have chosen the PPro/6x86MX option instead of 586/K5/5x86/6x86.  I
started using the Cyrix 686P1200+ (150Mhz) processor late 1996 and never
had kernel panics using this option.

  I originally learnt how to compile the kernel with version 1.2.8 so
I'm a little oldfashioned but the method I use may overcome the problem
with errno.h not being found.

Assumptions: the linux source is in /usr/src/linux (or you have a
symbolic link to make it look like it is in the correct place).

  cd /usr/include
  rm -rf linux
  rm -rf asm
  ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
  ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
  cd /usr/src/linux
1 make mrproper
  make dep; make clean
  make zImage (or make bzImage)
2 cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.10
2 [edit /etc/lilo.conf to use the new image]
2 /sbin/lilo
  make modules; make modules_install

  Notes: 1 - don't do this if you don't want to wipe the existing
configuration that was created last time you compiled the kernel.  I
always save it to a file.
         2 - these steps only apply if you use lilo

  Good luck,

  Steven McIntyre
  stev at theinternet.com.au
  3rd Year Info. Tech [CSC/DAT], QUT - Gardens Point, Brisbane