[H-GEN] F-king CVS!

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Thu Jul 8 02:20:21 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Jason Henry Parker <jasonp at uq.net.au>)

Raymond Smith <raymonds at uq.net.au> writes:

> On 8 Jul 1999, Jason Henry Parker wrote:
> > I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say the repository has been
> > unlocked, care to elaborate?
> To be honest, I don't exactly know. I am not the one who did it.

IIRC, the repository is locked and unlocked only when someone is
running a cvs commit.  Interrupting this process is usually pretty
harmless, in my experience.  Of course, this is all pure proctology on
my part.

> Yes. So I had already looked through the CVSROOT and the only thing
> that seemed odd was that the ,v RCS files were all set with
> read-only. Does

Yeah, that's normal.

> this sound like the normal shape of CVSROOT? *sigh* different users
> own different files in the repository and we do not have "real" root
> access to the file server the repository is on to try changing this.

That's also normal, so far as I can tell.  What's causing the error?
Can you dump the error message here?  Can you take a diff, restore the
repository from backup and apply said diff?  You'd probably only lose
a little work that way.  :/

% cvs diff -u -D 'jun 28' > /tmp/diff
% rm -rf $CVSROOT
% $MAGIC_BACKUP_COMMAND
% cvs checkout
% # apply patch from /tmp/diff
% cvs commit -m'*sigh*'

CVS is a great tool when it's going right, but when it fucks up, well,
it's just a tool.  :/

jason
--
____   Every once in a while, you catch a memory leak,   /"\ ASCII ribbon
\ _/__ realise that the operating system hasn't crashed, \ /   campaign