[H-GEN] Mail problems

Michael Anthon mca at tams.com.au
Wed Jul 7 19:55:31 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Michael Anthon <mca at tams.com.au>)

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's doing it again.  Completely different address is affected this time.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to a way to monitor for when this is
happening so that I don't have to wait for someone to tell me that a
customer just received 20 copies of a 1M email?  I have to do something
until I can find out what the hell is going on here.

>From: Hilton Travis [mailto:QuarkComputers at email.com]
>
>As much as I hate admitting it, a couple of years ago I came to the
>realization that a lot of problems with Microsoft packages actually have no
>way of being tracked, located and fixed.  Quite often, it will fix itself
>for no apparent reason - probably the same reason it suddenly broke in the
>first place - it just wants to.

As much as I would like to blame the M$ part of the system, the tcp dumps
actually tend to indicate a problem with the Linux side of things.  If you
look at the trace I put on my ftp site, it is sendmail that is not "doing
the right thing" in terms of the protocol.  I could be mis-interpreting the
dump because I don't have a lot of clues in this area.

Michael "my headache just came back" Anthon