[H-GEN] Sparc Crashes

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sun Jan 17 23:32:52 EST 1999

Sorry if this has been posted twice but I think I had trouble getting
through the first time.

Has anybody using the Sparc IPC's ever suffered a total crash with the
machine not working? I suspect this might be caused by the CMOS battery
dying. It is unlikely that just replacing the battery will fix the
problem.

I believe that it is necessary to :-

1. Know the config details first.

2. Replace the battery

3. Pull out the CMOS chip and then put it back in

Can somebody confirm this procedure and the command for determining the
configuration before the thing falls over. I think the command is "icom"
or "ipcom" or something akin to this.

If Sparc owners have not yet experienced this be reassured...you will.

If no-one is able to confirm a procedure I am currently researching and
will post a recommended course of action. However, if a Humbugger
already has the information and can post something definitive then that
will save me doing it.

TIA.

--
Frank Brand