[H-GEN] partition advice

Bruce Campbell bc at thehub.com.au
Mon Feb 22 03:03:02 EST 1999

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 davidj at amh.com.au wrote:

> Well, personally I'd follow the idea behind the OS/2 HPFS file system.
>
> The primary FAT, or primary superblock is in the center of the drive, and
> using some form of tree, get to anywhere in the disk in minimum _average_
> time. The theory behind this is the disk heads are on average, located
> in the center of the platters.

Note that this is the logical centre of the disk, or halfway between the
centre and the outside of the platter.

> Of course it all depends on what function the machine serves. If it
> where say a web server (on a single disk), and the html was in /home,
> I'd put /home in the middle. Obviously this sort of layout would be
> most beneficial given a SCSI device.

The Netapp Filer uses a filesystem by the name of 'WAFL', which has some
fairly nifty tricks in it, due to how tightly integrated the controllers
and the drives are - it can be summed up by it will write what is required
whereever the heads are, which makes for higher throughput.
www.netapp.com

Another Humbug member is writing a filesystem which incorporates some of
the features of WAFL, that being filesystem-level snapshots.

--==--
Bruce.

-
This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at humbug.org.au .  Postings
are accepted only from subscribed addresses of lists general or general-post.