[H-GEN] cable under linux

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Wed Dec 22 05:45:53 EST 1999

Hi all,

> > does anyone know of:
> >
> > 1 - any problems with telstra or optus cable under linux
> > 2 - a good cable modem
> > 3 - a good reference for someone (me) who knows bugger all
> >     about cable modems under linux.
>
> if you're using debian + Telstra cable, i've got a debian package I hacked
> together to get a friends box up and running.
> haven't played with Optus yet (not sure if it's avail even)
>
> be warned Tel$tra have just changed the charging policy from unpleasant
> to downright ludicrous.  be prepared and buy a large tub of
> vaseline before your first bill arrives, said friend has cancelled his
> cable access because of this.

As xDSL is soon (ish) going to be available in Australia (well, at least in
Bris, Canberra, Syd and Melb) I am currently looking into the likely charges
related to Tel$tra and Optus cable service vs the various xDSL services on
the table.  I will surely share any interesting information with this
mailing list.

Tel$tra seems to be constantly in the business of offering glossy sales
brochures painting rosy pictures, and then removing the gloss to show their
true nature once you have committed to their service.  Believe me, I have
had some strong words with them over the past few weeks about a number of
things.

>From what I hear, a large number of existing and prospective Tel$tra cable
modem users are seriously considering the Optus solution, when it becomes
available early next year (the last of this millennium :-).

As I am not a huge container of Linux knowledge, I will no doubt be begging
and grovelling for Linux configuration assistance in the future with this
technology.  I therefore CANNOT have a problem with sharing any information
I may come across.

Regards,
Hilton Travis