[H-GEN] cable under linux

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Wed Dec 22 05:37:46 EST 1999

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]
>

> > 1 - any problems with telstra or optus cable under linux
> > 2 - a good cable modem
> > 3 - a good reference for someone (me) who knows bugger all
> >     about cable modems under linux.

My understanding is that the Optus system is technically a better solution than
Telstra but neither of them give any support at all to Linux...basically you
are on your own.

Telstra has its own hardware package and the Optus package includes a modem and
ethernet card so your choice will be limited. Generally, buying outside the
Optus and Telstra packages will probably be uneconomic as there will be some
level of subsidy in their pricing.

Optus has a $398 package at $59.95 a month or $199 at $69.95 a month but I
think these are "no-limit" packages. Telstra is data limited. With a cable
modem you can run up the downloads pretty quickly.

> if you're using debian + Telstra cable, i've got a debian package I hacked
> together to get a friends box up and running.
> haven't played with Optus yet (not sure if it's avail even)

According to the Optus web site only Sydney and Melbourne can get cable yet.
Optus says it will roll out in  *SOME* Brisbane suburbs in March 2000.

As Daniel advises beware it is not cheap although Optus seems to be better
priced than Telstra.

 --
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au