[H-GEN] running remote x apps

Ben Carlyle benc at foxboro.com.au
Wed Dec 8 19:13:40 EST 1999

Paul Gearon wrote:
> Just looks like a permissions problem.  There are various safe ways to
> do this, but for a quick and dirty kludge just execute "xhost +" on the
> machine with the x server (192.168.0.24) and see if this is your
> problem.

I don't concur.  Here is what happens when you can't open a
display because the machine doesn't exist:

  beast:mtradm-/export/foxbac/foxscada> xterm -display fred:0.0
  Error: Can't open display: fred:0.0

Here is what happens when you don't have permission:

  beast:mtradm-/export/foxbac/foxscada> xterm
  Xlib: connection to "fuzzy-xterm:0.0" refused by server
  Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
  Error: Can't open display: fuzzy-xterm:0

Stephen gets
> > Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
which should list the display it's trying to connect to after that
final colon.

It looks to me like xmms simply doesn't understand your -display
option.  Try setting an environment variable instead[1], and check
and recheck your typing :)  You are right that it's a standard
option, though.  It should be supported.

Benjamin.

[1]
DISPLAY=192.168.0.24:0.0; export DISPLAY; xmms