[H-GEN] New Machine

Murray Spork murray at bucks.net
Mon Dec 6 12:17:53 EST 1999

From: Mark Suter ...

> > Why not buy a 733MHz Intel Pentium III from Dell?  Who cares
> > if you have to ship it from the US?  All you care about is
> > being on the bleeding edge :-)

Can you do that? Order direct from the US?

I have been a happy Dell customer back in England (3 machines from them) but I
had decided to build my own system this time so that I got exactly what I
wanted. (BTW -- it looks like I'll get Concorde to build it for me --  they
are effectively offering me a $100 discount to have them build it -- go figure)

I had been reading that the Athlons are significantly faster than the
Pentiums -- you guys seem to be suggesting otherwise? I thought Pentium III's
were very overpriced when compared to the bang/buck you can get from a Celeron
or the Athlon?

From: Frank Brand...
[...]
> Thats a point. But in this case bleeding edge becomes bleeding expensive. I
> have not seen a price in Australia for the upper end Pentiums but they are
> usually around $1500 give or take the odd $100... shizenzee, $100 thats about
> all I pay for the CPU's in my system...performance at the edge is not cheap!!
>
> BTW (esspecially Murray)...I see Altech at South Brisbane have Gigabyte Athlon
> boards at $270

I've heard of problems with the Gigabyte. Mind you -- people have had problems
with the Asus as well.

I think Frank is correct about the current state of Athlon motherboards -- but
things seem to be getting better. A lot of bios issues seem to be resolved
now -- so long as I get the latest BIOS I figure it should be ok.

I decided to go for the Asus or the FIC because of the review on tomshardware.

Cheers,

Murray Spork