[H-GEN] New Machine

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sun Dec 5 23:26:04 EST 1999

On Mon, 06 Dec 1999, Murray Spork wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.          ]

Pretty well any video ram is supported in Linux. Personally, I tend to go with
cards that are well supported not with code coming or in beta. Thats why I like
the TNT and TNT2 cards.

As far as sound goes...lots of cards are supported through linux or the OSS
proprietory drivers but for the most compatibility I say go with
Creative/Soundblaster.

> Also, whilst Conor is asking, I need help deciding between an Athlon system or a
> dual Celeron (using ABIT BP6).
>
> The Athlon would probably be better suited to what I am doing (python and perl
> development, XML/ SGML, GIMP, running NT with VMware -- that sort of thing) but
> there is a certain coolness factor about having my own SMP machine that is very
> tempting.

Well, SMP is a complication but is getting better with every new kernel. It
seems to me this is a simple problem...if you really need SMP go with the dual
Celerons but  a lot of people who want SMP and dual processors really do not
need that functionality. If you do not need dual processors you will get better
performance with an Athlon I think. However an Athlon will set you back at
least $500 and a board more. An ABIT BP6 and 2 400 Celerons will probably
perform just as well as the Athlon  for about $600 total...the AP6 and 2
Celeron 400/433/466 will give you better bang for your buck. For out and out
speed on a single workstation not really neeeding SMP go Athlon. Athlon boards
are still very young in the developoment stage - thats another consideration.

--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au
Home Page: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzfbrand