[H-GEN] Serial EQL?

Daniel Quinlan daniel at netwise.net.au
Thu Aug 26 13:17:35 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 05:08:20PM +1000, Robert Stuart wrote:
> Does anyone use the "EQL (serial line load balancing) support"?

i don't use it, but I helped set it up for a trade show type thingy
3x 56kbps modem connection was pretty sweet =)

> Does Multilink PPP exist for Linux?

yup but it's a bit rough. (at least it was all those months ago when I tried
to use it unsucessfully)

the problem I had was that MLPPP has various types of identifiers for letting the dialup server know you are trying to attach the second,third,fourth etc
connections to the first one.  unfortunately the cisco gear we were dialing
into only supported one particular type of identifier....and guess what
identifier the linux MLPPP code didn't support.

cisco support was great tho, it was like 2am here and I ended up talking to
the guy who wrote the code for MLPPP in IOS in Belgium.  cool.

if you're planning on making a connection between two linux boxes either will
work, but calling anything else you'll have to do some research with MLPPP
EQL is a much more mature solution and MLPPP is still in dev and it requires
patching the kernel.  i was told MLPPP is much better, but I can't back that up.

best o' luck,
Daniel Quinlan				daniel at netwise.net.au
Netwise Australia			ph: 0417 677 377
"Engineering Network Solutions"		fax: 07 3216 0226