[H-GEN] pthreads

Allen Grace a.grace at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 25 23:42:14 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

Afternoon all

...reading the manpage for pthread_mutex functions in Linux, one is
explicitly warned not to call pthread_mutex_lock and
pthread_mutex_unlock from a signal handler (risk of deadlock).

1. Is this only a problem for Linux, or is this a bad idea for all
Unices?

2. What if I really want to do this? because (just for instance :) ) I
might have a thread which modifies a structure, and then signals the
parent process that the structure has been modified, so that it in turn
can do things with it (including modify it).
What else could one do?

cheers for any thought

allen
--
PD: pardon of my horror syntax english. you must be patient with me.