[H-GEN] Backups etc...

Robert Stuart rstu at qbssss.edu.au
Mon Aug 23 22:46:45 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

Craig Armour wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
> Unix-related topics. ]
>
> Hi
>
> I am wondering what most people do w.r.t to backups

For people interested in commercial (possibly expensive) solutions to
backups:

We have Solaris boxes and Linux boxes on our network (and previously
Netware 3.x, 4.x).  We use Legato Networker (or "Solstice Backup" ?)
with a DLT4700 (DLT 20/40GB 7 slot autochanger) which IMHO is an
excellent product.

The idea is that you nominate a backup server (should be a fairly decent
box), install the server software on it, install client sw on the
clients and run a configuration utility to manage your backups.
Networker allows you to group your backup clients and set intuitive
schedules (of backup levels) for backups.  It allows you to write to
multiple tape drives at the same time and multiplexes data streams from
backup clients onto one or more tapes (simutaneously).  It has a wide
range of clients "paks" including NT, Netware, Windows 9x, DB backup
modules etc (for extra cost).

One of the best features is that it keeps an online index of files
backed up (going back a configurable - for each client - amount of
time).  To recover, start up the graphical recovery tool, set the
approximate date you want to recover data from, and _browse_ the whole
fs at that point in time.  When you find the file you are after, you can
get a list of versions of that file (that are held in the online db) and
pick the version you want.  At this point, it knows which tape (you have
kept them all labeled of course) you need and notifies you to insert it;
shortly after your file is recovered (most of my single file recoveries
come back in 20 minutes from starting the recover program to recovered
file appearing).

Drawbacks: the server software does not currently run on Linux.  It does
have a linux client that works (I've been using it on two networks for
over 2 years) without problems and is now supported by Legato.  If you
have a solaris box with about 2 GB of disk space (nfs mounted if you
want), you can try out the software from Sun's server pack (I think its
a 14 day timeout after which you need enabler codes).  There are server
versions for just about every other major unix.

The bad part is that it is expensive.  You are looking at ~5-10K and up
depending on what you want and what deal you can get. One thought I had
about justifying the cost: you may be able to save the cost of tape
drives on different machines, wasted space on tapes because they aren't
full, backups become more managable (you get reports of success/failure
etc for every backup), and reducing support time and cost.

Basically, if you have the infrastructure and are already running
Solaris (or one of the supported server platforms) you can get an
evaluation version to try out, have a look at it.

I've only helped people recover from tar and *fsdump backup systems and
it isn't nice, not to mention long winded.

In case anyone is interested in Australian distributors:
www.unixpac.com.au (who also see other unix stuff).  Legato's web site:
www.legato.com

Craig, I'm not sure this is what you were after, but perhaps someone
will find this useful.

--
Robert Stuart
Ph  61-7-3864 0364