[H-GEN] Backups etc...

Craig Armour c.armour at lingua.arts.uq.edu.au
Mon Aug 23 20:56:42 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

no errors just permenant hang... it even has console (ie can switch
vt's, type but won't login or anything) no timeouts in the log nothing

a very silent death (it used to oops but that wasn't related to this
problem)

> How much are you backing up (roughly) compared to the capacity of your
> tape ?  How far through does it make it ?  While the system isn't in
> single-user mode, would there be active users ?  Creating large files ?

backups are down at 00:05 in the morning.  there is often users (at most
2 or 3 but usually at least 1) but I wouldn't imagine them doing
anything exciting.  as for creating large files well *shrug* I wouldn't
think so.  it is not a regular thing like , it doesn't happen every
backup, just once in say 10.  and so I'm very rarely next to the box
when it happens. :?

> And SCSI being SCSI, do you have active termination and decent cables ?
> Any other devices ever play up (even if you don't notice them, do a grep
> of the logs - there may be some temporary timeouts being reported) ?
> Any black chickens (or goats) readily availible ?

no scsi errors whatso ever.  it has auto termination on the drive it
self, which prompts me to think that maybe the termination could be
dodgy.. but wouldn't that yield timeouts etc...???

cheers
craig
Craig Armour			c.armour at arts.uq.edu.au
System Administrator    	 Joyce Ackroyd Building
Language Lab, University of Queensland   phone 33656916