[H-GEN] NIC strangenesses

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Wed Aug 18 19:47:30 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

Hi All,

I recently blew my RedHat 6.0 system away and installed Mandrake 6.0.  All
went well, except for a few little things.  I performed a "server" install,
just like I had previously with the RedHat distribution. For example the
following:
$ man if
fopen: No such file or directory
Cannot open man page /usr/man/man1/builtins2.1.bz2
No manual entry for if

I recompiled the kernel with support for my VIA-Rhine card (D-Link
DFE-530TX - 100BaseTX eth0) and NE-2000 clone card (D-Link Ether16 Ver2.3 -
10BaseT eth1).  When I use the same scripts I had used in RedHat for my IP
forwarding and masquerading, I am getting the following errors as soon as
the system boots (and about every 5 seconds thereafter):
eth0: Transmit timed ot, status 0002, PHY status 782d, resetting...

The only way to fix this (that I have found) is to "ifconfig eth0 down;
ifconfig eth1 up" after every boot.  routed is started and running, and once
I down/up eth0, all is fine and forwarding anf masquerading works fine.
It's got me beat.

Diald still won't go - it's a bugger to set up!

Squid seems to be working, as does Samba, DNS and autofs.  ppp connections
are working if I manually dial, and I have downloaded (but not yet
installed) Masqdialer.  IP masquerading is working fine from both networks
out onto the Internet (via ppp0).

It's just diald and mainly this strange eth0 error that have me puzzled
right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Hilton Travis