[H-GEN] Re: Internal Modem and Linux

Doug Young dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au
Wed Aug 4 08:39:51 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Doug Young" <dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au>)

> Well, Alwyn at Soft Tech still has only 33k6 connections (nope, no 56k
> available) and when I spoke to him a while ago he had 3 or 4 dead WebExcel
> external modems there, and had already had more than this die on him.  He
> said that they were the modems he has noticed the highest failure rate
with.

I originally used a Hayes Optima at the remote end of my dialup link and had
no end of trouble with it not re-setting .... replaced it with a fifth hand
$30 external WebExcel after advice from other permanent dialup people and
knowing its an el cheapo heap of junk .... but its proven far more reliable
than the Hayes in that situation