[H-GEN] Re: Internal Modem and Linux

Thow, Martin Martin.Thow at qr.com.au
Tue Aug 3 20:53:47 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Thow, Martin" <Martin.Thow at qr.com.au>)

Internal modem problem???....

I configured a ppp connection to GIL (Global Info Links) and here what
happens when I try and connect:

I get a connected message, then it states that its trying to log on to the
network (using PPP, & PAP under RH6)after 30 seconds (default timeout) I get
an error message (not helpful). Even with the debug option on no meaningful
message is given. Even the GIL technical helpdesk have no clue as to why I
can't connect.

Is this a symptom of Internal Modem problems (I have a clone 33.6k Internal
- austel approved, probably 18+ months old). I have tried using both kPPP &
netconfig with the same result, it works fine under windoze.

I have been thinking of getting a web excel external, but if someone can
name specific brands of internal modems (56K) that work fine, then that
would be great.

Martin Thow