[H-GEN] Re: Internal Modem and Linux

Doug Young dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au
Tue Aug 3 06:16:35 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Doug Young" <dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au>)

> > (1) Are internal modems supported by Linux?
> > (2) If so, are there any brands/models recommended?
> > (3) Which to avoid?
> > (4) Where can I get one?i

OK .... now I'm not usually one to recommend *nix documentation :) :) :)

BUT ..... the hardware compatibility list is actually intelligible, and I
have found its reasonably up to date with a lot of currently available
hardware.
I haven't had reason to go looking at the HCL in the last couple weeks, but
as I recall there were links to sites with further (quite explicit) info on
configuring around the peculiarities of many modems. I was at the time
concerned about the usability of some late model Netcomm internal modems,
and the HCL links provided all the info I needed to get them sorted out.
I've certainly used a heap of different internal modems with Redhat, Debian,
Slackware etc and the only related problems were of the ppp kind that a lot
of newbies strike.... thankfully there are some user friendly tools to fix
that issue now. What I haven't tried is 56K modems, either internal or
external, as my connection is limited to a speed that negates any
theoretical advantage of the 56K stuff anyway.