[H-GEN] Re: Internal Modem and Linux

Michael Anthon mca at tams.com.au
Tue Aug 3 03:43:38 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Michael Anthon <mca at tams.com.au>)

I always recommend against the use of internal modems.  Having spent a fair
bit of time working with high voltage testing and that sort of thing,
putting anything connected directly to a phone line anywhere inside my
computer makes me shudder, but maybe I am just paranoid

That said, if you must do it, it is quite simple and yes, Linux does support
internal modems.  I believe the things to look out for are these...

1. Definitely make sure it is NOT a WinModem (this applies equally to
external modems of course), although I understand that this WinModem concept
kinda didn't really take too well in the market place there are still a few
around.
2. Make sure that it can be configured as the 3rd or 4th serial ports.  This
prevents any potential conflicts with other serial devices already in the
machine.  If you get one that can only be set up for 1 or 2 and you already
have those on the M/B and cannot disable them, then you are screwed [1].
3. If possible, get one with jumpers on the board for selecting IRQ and I/O
space. Alternatively, one that can be programmed (probably using a DOS based
program) for fixed IRQ and I/O (often called jumperless operation).  A PnP
modem should also work but unless you have played with PnP and Linux and
already know what you are doing, this avoid would I.

That's all I can think of, HTH.

Cheers
Michael A.

[1] This is the technical form of screwed of course