[H-GEN] routing, subnets, and TCP/IP

Doug Young dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au
Mon Aug 2 21:32:53 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Doug Young" <dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au>)

> That command does not survive a reboot; if restarting the gateway did not
> fix your email problem, the email problem is unrelated.

was I supposed to know that ?? .... didn't find that out til later

> you.. were .. setting up a gateway .. with a .. default kernel?
> <stunned silence>

again ..... how is one supposed to know stuff like this ??

> For a PPP link, you don't require a netmask.

hmmm .... well since the dialog box pops up asking for some IP number to be
inserted in a field titled "netmask" in every distribution I have seen, I
wondered what it was there for .... I know its there in other operating
systems too but like I've found many times, *nix does stuff differently
and as far as I knew it just maybe it could have been an issue that needed
to be addressed

> a PPP connection is a peer-to-peer connection -- there is your machine,
and the other end.  When I say add a route to that peer, I mean you need to
tell your end how to reach the other end of the link.

OK ..... so I guess you mean the LAN gateway box is one "peer" and the ISP
or equivalent is the other "peer" ??

> # /sbin/ifconfig ppp0
> ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>           inet addr:203.109.211.201  P-t-P:203.109.211.190
>
> Your end of the PPP link is associated with the first address; the other
end
> is assoicated with the other address.  In order for you to be able to
reach
> that machine, you must have a route to it:

I'm trying to figure what you mean exactly ... I assume "Your end of the PPP
link" is the ppp0 on the LAN gateway box, and "the other address" is the
eth0 on the same box ??

The rest I'll try to absorb gradually by sketching it out on paper  .....
however I don't need to mess with firewalls or DHCP immediately if they
aren't strictly essential to basic functionality so is there any other
reason I need to be concerned with that stuff ??