[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT (religious war :-)

Rob Kearey r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Sun Aug 1 18:31:31 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Rob Kearey <r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au>)

root wrote:

Hint: Don't use your root account for general mucking about, unless you
like mangling things.

> > Why do you keep putting real in quotes? Are the real addresses or not?

> I guess they are real ...... all 203 series ones

Private IP addresses are real IP addresses, too. Now, /imaginary/ IP
addresses, 90 degrees out of phase to other IP addresses - that'd be
q001e.

More info? Check out the RFCs, which are the canonical source of info.

ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ietf/rfc/

> > It's probably not wise to have two interfaces with the same IP address.

> Isn't an IP address related to a host rather than an interface
> or is there more jiggery pokery to it than that ??

Hmmm. Time to get up to date with IP issues generally. I reccomend the
TCP/IP Network Administration Guide by O'Reilly - you can find it here:

http://www.lsl.com.au/reference/tcp-ip-network-adminitration.html

> yeah ..... thats the general idea. I have more stuff I would like to do
> in the future, but the object of the immediate exercise is simply to get
> the Windows hosts to browse, send / receive email etc

This is pretty well documented - have a look at:

http://ipmasq.cjb.net/

for lots of useful info.

> I can ping both outside and inside IP addresses from this box now.
> Redhat has a GUI network configurator ... maybe thats what you mean.
> Whats the "echo" command all about ??

It asks the kernel to turn on ip forwarding. The /proc filesystem is
your friend.

--
Robert Kearey           Network Services
ITS                     University of Queensland