[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT (religious war :-)

root dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au
Sun Aug 1 11:53:22 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs root <dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au>)

> The router being able to ping the world and also the lan does not
> necessarily mean that the boxes on the lan can route to the world -
> definately check that /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward has a 1 in it.

>From what I can see .... that file exists but is totally blank

> :> Then, setup the route to the lan on the router itself.

Why the "SIOCADDRT:Invalid argument" when I run the route add -net"
command ?

> : Thats a confusing bit ...... is it simply a matter of issuing those
> : commands for every host or is there something more involved ??
>
> I left that vague as the lan machines are win boxes aren't they?

do far they are combiation of Win98 / Win2000 but will be changing some
to whatever flavour of *nix when the routing stuff is sorted out

> : do I need to get concerned with subnet on the internet connection ??
>
> Depends what you mean?  The lan is a subnet and the netmask,etc must be
> set appropriately.  I hope that makes sense :)

nahhhhh .... normally I don't have to bother with a subnet entry on ppp0
interface ....... do I need to with this setup ??