[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT (religious war :-)

root dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au
Sun Aug 1 11:04:31 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs root <dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au>)

Thanks Robert .... I'm just in middle of renumbering eth0's so I can
find
another IP address so ppp0 & eth0 have one each instead of sharing
203.3.126.129

> First of all, make sure that the router is forwaridng packets (someone
> else has already mentioned this):

I can ping internet IP's & LAN IP's OK ..... that should indicate
packets are going wherever they should I guess

> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

The GUI thingy from Redhat seems to do that stuff

> Then, setup the route to the lan on the router itself.  Each client on the
> lan will also need to have a route setup for the lan.  I've used IPs here
> from a private subnet but substitute for your own IPs of course.

Thats a confusing bit ...... is it simply a matter of issuing those
commands for every host or is there something more involved ??

Whats the situation if there is already a route in existance ??

> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
> route add -net 192.168.1.0
>
> Then setup each client box to point to your router (192.168.1.1 in this
> example) as gateway.

already did that

do I need to get concerned with subnet on the internet connection ??