[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT (religious war :-)

Robert Brockway robert at blake.humbug.org.au
Sun Aug 1 10:46:46 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Robert Brockway <robert at blake.humbug.org.au>)

root <dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au> wrote:
: (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs root <dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au>)

: Now everyone is warmed up ..... I wonder if the experts can
: come up with a five minute plan to get routing sorted out
: on a Mandrake 6 box to allow some Win98 / Win2000 boxes with
: "real" IP's to browse the net etc ??

Hi Doug.  I'll give you wan example of the commands needed on the linux
box router to get all the hosts networked.

First of all, make sure that the router is forwaridng packets (someone
else has already mentioned this):

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Then, setup the route to the lan on the router itself.  Each client on the
lan will also need to have a route setup for the lan.  I've used IPs here
from a private subnet but substitute for your own IPs of course.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
route add -net 192.168.1.0

Then setup each client box to point to your router (192.168.1.1 in this
example) as gateway.

There are some switches for ifconfig which you may have to specify such
as netmask and broadcast, as they are alot more difficult for the box to
guess under CIDR (the new subnetting/routing standard) than they were
under the old class A,B and C designations (due to the nature of the old
class designations, it was pretty much a no-brainer what the netmask,etc
was).

Here is an example:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at blake.humbug.org.au
                                robert at humbug.org.au, r.brockway at uq.net.au
			 WWW:   http://www.humbug.org.au/~robert
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
                -- Groucho Marx