[H-GEN] PPP and dial-on-demand during certain hours

Mark Suter mark at zwitterion.humbug.org.au
Sun Aug 1 07:40:50 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Mark Suter <mark at zwitterion.humbug.org.au>)

Dougy,

> > Unix doesn't make the easy things trivial - it makes everything only
> > moderately complicated.
>
> and your interpretation of "moderately complicated" ?? :)  :<  :)

A good example is the naming of hosts.  Until recently, with the
adoption of DNS by Windows 2000, there was no logic whatsoever in
the naming of hosts within an organisation.

Unix attempts to abide by the rule, "As complicated as it needs to be,
but no more".  Making the application of this simple rule anything
but straight-forward is the diverse and unknowable range of tasks
that will be undertaken.

NT is generally less broad in it focus, thus we have the situation
where NT is at its best when you have the exact task that it was
designed to do - the further from normal[1] you go, the worse NT gets.

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter   | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au  | what you think I said, but I am not sure
PGP encryption is OK | you realise that what you  heard  is not
Ph: +61 4 1162 2316  | what I meant.                  anonymous

[1] Normal as defined by Microsoft Corporation, not you :-)