[H-GEN] Squid addon

Ben Fowler b1.fowler at student.qut.edu.au
Thu Apr 29 07:38:13 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Ben Fowler <b1.fowler at student.qut.edu.au>)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Steve Thorne wrote:

> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Steve Thorne <sjthorne at ozemail.com.au>)
> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Craig Eldershaw wrote:
> > (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Craig Eldershaw <ce at comlab.ox.ac.uk>)

> > >I have been informed that a program exists that is like a sister program for
> > >squid that allows the following.
> > >
> > >* file.x is requested and downloaded from serverX
:
:
> > >* file.x is downloaded from the squid cache
> >
> Forgive me if I am wrong, for I am not very knowledgeable about such
> things, but wouldn't it be possible to get the exact file size of
> file.x at cache and file.x at Y
> of course you'd have to base it on both the name and file size, and make a
> lower limit, there is a remote chance that index.html might be 3,212bytes
> at server X+Y

Again, as mentioned above, this approach would be unsound, since there may
well be a fair probability of two completely different files on the same
server having the exact same size and filename.

If such a Squid addon were to be written, I'd imagine it'd cache the file,
and generate a unique checksum for comparisons, therefore making the
possibility of "mistakes" much lower.  However generating checksums
on-the-fly would have to be kept relatively quick, so as to not not bog
down the caching software overly -- I doubt this'd be a problem since
squid is probably I/O bound anyhow.

My 0.02 worth...

- warmest regards,

Ben.

--
 Ben Fowler, 2nd yr. BInfTech(CompSci,DataCommunications), QUT
   EMAIL:     ben.fowler at humbug.org.au  b1.fowler at student.qut.edu.au
   WEB PAGE:  http://azure.humbug.org.au/~zuul/

 "I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused." -- Elvis Costello