[H-GEN] Squid addon

Steve Thorne sjthorne at ozemail.com.au
Thu Apr 29 07:22:44 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Steve Thorne <sjthorne at ozemail.com.au>)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Craig Eldershaw wrote:

> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Craig Eldershaw <ce at comlab.ox.ac.uk>)
>
> >I have been informed that a program exists that is like a sister program for
> >squid that allows the following.
> >
> >* file.x is requested and downloaded from serverX
> >* then file.x is in the squid cache
> >* file.x is requested from serverY
> >* this sister type progeam sayth "and lo they are the sameth"
> >* file.x is downloaded from the squid cache
>
> I can't say I heard of such a beast, but more importantly, I can't see
> how this could possibly work in general.  How could you efficiently
> make comparrisons between file.x at cache and file.x at Y ?
>
> Simply basing it on name would be a disaster (think how many files
> there are called index.html).  It could download it and compare,
> but then there are no savings in bandwidth (I guess you can reduce
> storage).  If Y accepted rsync-like connections, then that would be
> more efficient, but that would be very rare.

Forgive me if I am wrong, for I am not very knowledgeable about such
things, but wouldn't it be possible to get the exact file size of
file.x at cache and file.x at Y
of course you'd have to base it on both the name and file size, and make a
lower limit, there is a remote chance that index.html might be 3,212bytes
at server X+Y

:)

Steve.