[H-GEN] Telnet not working

Hilton Travis QuarkComputers at email.com
Wed Apr 28 06:32:23 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Hilton Travis" <QuarkComputers at email.com>)

> Hilton Travis <QuarkComputers at email.com> moved upon the face of
> the 'Net and spake thusly:
>
> > I have managed to configure my Linux box (RH 5.2) so that I can
> log on to it
> > with my '98 box, and have it pretend to be an NT Domain
> Controller.  This is
> > working well.  I have public and private shares working as required.
> >
> > Two questions about what I cannot get working as yet.
> >
> > 1. If I create user logon scripts in the /home/netlogon
> directory using the
> > vim editor, they are not readable (due to CR/LF issues) by the
> Win98 command
> > processor.  Is there a Linux app to convert these to Windows
> (DOS, actually)
> > readable?
>
> put this in your .bashrc
>
> alias d2u="perl -pi -e 's/\r\n/\n/g;'"
> alias u2d="perl -pi -e 's/\r//g;' -e 's/\n/\r\n/;"
>
> then
>
>         u2d some-filename-pattern

Thanks.  (You forgot the ' before the " on the 2nd line, but I figured that
one out.)
This got it all behaving itself.

> > 2. I have tries to Telnet to the Linux box and keep getting "Login
> > incorrect" responses.  I can ftp to this box without any
> problems.  Is there
> > a telnet config file I have not found?  The man page doesn't
> help me much.
> >

> Are you trying to log in as root?  This is explicitly disabled (man
> login to see how to enable root logins).

Yes, I am trying to telnet in as root.  I have another account configured,
and maybe I should have used that one.  Will try this after I log off the
'net tonight.

> Otherwise, telnet login should require no configuration.

Shall try again, and will do the "man login" to see what's needed.  Will not
enable root telnet tho.

Thanks again,
Hilton