[H-GEN] Telnet not working

Craig Eldershaw ce at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 28 06:04:41 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Craig Eldershaw <ce at comlab.ox.ac.uk>)

>1. If I create user logon scripts in the /home/netlogon directory using the
>vim editor, they are not readable (due to CR/LF issues) by the Win98 command
>processor.  Is there a Linux app to convert these to Windows (DOS, actually)
>readable?

On some systems, there are apps "todos" and "fromdos" to convert
between them.  If these don't exist, then something like:

   awk '{printf "%s\r\n",$0}' infile > outfile

will probably do you.

     <counts to 10 and waits for the perl-biggots to jump in> :-)

>2. I have tries to Telnet to the Linux box and keep getting "Login
>incorrect" responses.  I can ftp to this box without any problems.  Is there
>a telnet config file I have not found?  The man page doesn't help me much.

Have a look in the log files on the Linux box - see what it has to say.
Are you running inetd (use 'ps ax' to see all processes) ?  Is there a
line in /etc/inetd.conf corresponding to telnet (check it isn't
commented out) ?  If there is, but it mentions tcpd, then check your
/etc/hosts.allow to ensure there is an entry for the '98 box (see 'man
tcpd' and 'man 5 hosts_access' for more info).

HTH,

C.